Sunday, 12 November 2023

The Value and Need for Human Rights

My favourite subjects have been Value Education and Philosophy. While studying Political Science, I got the opportunity to study Political Philosophy. I was quite impressed and inspired by the value given by the constitutions of all the nations to individual and community rights. Coming together with people is essential for securing the rights of a group. Only because of the Constitution in particular and the laws, in general, do we have stability and a foundation for a secure society where there is always hope, even if the situation hits rock bottom. 


I want to see a society where there is equity and people are happy and they enjoy good health. Human resource is a magnificent resource and the return on investment is too valuable to quantify. Hence, I have always been concerned about what can be done to provide people with a good life. 


People who belong to marginalised groups face many difficulties only because of their social situation. For example, people who have been displaced by large projects like the Sardar Sarovar project. Among these, those who are women, dalits, adivasis, gender and sexual minorities and persons with disabilities, have to undergo double the trouble.


These communities face structural violence that is propagated by our tradition, social miscreants and the lack of empathy for them in general.

These groups of people share two things in common:-

1. The world is not made for them just like scissors are not made for lefties.

2. They are perceived to have lesser worth and thus less able.

Thus, they do not have equal access to opportunities from the get-go and are thus at an unfair disadvantage because of the social location of their birth. 


I am of the firm opinion that if people feel included, through a sense of belongingness and ownership in the polity, they will all be happier, healthier and, more productive and self-actualized. 


No comments:

Post a Comment